Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing #9 Getting lined up

I enjoyed reading from The Cool Cat Teacher blog. I like the idea of the Circle of the Wise. With such limited time, I agree that it is important to spend that time wisely reading information that is valuable. Reading from the edublog was a valuable use of my time; I learned about the Second Life webworld and looked at some of the award winning blogs.
I found that Bloglines was the easiest for me to use. I typed in "careers" as a search, and I received informational links on aptitude tests, resume writing tips, job searches, and choosing a career. When we work on the career unit in class, I can see where these links could be helpful. I found that Topix and Syndic were not as easy to use; they required more steps and did not provide the type of links I was looking for. I was not too impressed with Technorati, but I have read positive comments about it, so I will go back and give it another try. I like the idea of adding links from those bloggers you know and trust. I have looked at some of those sites/blogs, and I see the benefit of fanning out from my "wise circle." I appreciate the time and effort other teachers and librarians have put into placing valuable links on their blogs. Getting lined up takes time and a discriminating eye. I am connected to a few lines for now and plan to go back and line up some more links later.

2 comments:

bookeatersclub said...

All these wonderful resources require time, especially in the beginning. BUT, like others before these, we all learn how to use them to their capability.

Athena said...

I just love your motivating memos, flickr fotos and trading card. I like the fotos you can imagine yourself entering as well. Great ideas for how to use them in the library. Thanks for sharing.